Announcing Stories from the Sea Undergraduate Internships
Interested in honing your skills as a researcher and interviewer? Want to conduct interviews and share local stories about the sea?
The "Stories from the Sea" project invites UCI undergraduates to partner with community residents in Newport Beach to record personal histories and memories of important encounters with the sea.
Stories from the Sea Internships
Fall, Winter and Spring 2020-2021
Students will learn the following skills:
- How to conduct interviews/oral histories with community members
- How to conduct research in historical archives
- How to preserve the memories of community members, particularly elders, through digitizing photographs and other memorabilia
- How to “produce” stories through mixed media methods (digital narratives, podcasting, non-fiction storytelling, etc.).
- How to work collaboratively with other student researchers/storytellers
- Fall 2020: The “Stories from the Sea” interns are highly encouraged to take Dr. Patricia Pierson’s (email@example.com) Journalism 198 Class: Storytelling and Production (course code 30110) to learn interviewing, storytelling, and production skills.
- Winter 2021: The interns will begin partnering with community members to conduct formal interviews and to preserve photographs and memorabilia. Time commitment is approximately 10 hours/week. Interns will meet regularly with Professor Judy Wu (Director of the Humanities Center), Meg Linton (CEO of Newport Beach Public Library Foundation), Kunga Wangmo-Upshaw (Director of Programs, NBPLF), and Dr. Thuy Vo Dang (Southeast Asian Archive, UC Libraries). Interns are encouraged to take Prof. Vinayak Chaturvedi’s History 197: History Internship Class.
- Spring 2021: The final projects will be featured publicly (in person or virtually) as well as in media outlets through the UCI Humanities Center and the Newport Beach Public Library Foundation. Interns are encouraged to take Uni Studies 193. For more information, please see this video and email: firstname.lastname@example.org.