Courses Overview

The WR 40 - 60 Sequence

Student Learning Outcomes for the WR 40 - 60 Sequence (WR 40WR 50, and WR 60)

Students who have fulfilled the University-wide Entry Level Writing Requirement begin the WR 40 - 60 sequence with WR 50 and then move on to WR 60.

Students who have not yet fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement by other means must begin the sequence with WR 40.

Students who have not yet fulfilled the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement may also be required to take Academic English/ESL courses before they can enroll in any Composition courses. Students who must take Academic English/ESL courses will receive a letter during the summer regarding testing and course placement.

Composition Course Variations

WR 45, Intensive Writing, combines WR 40 and WR 50 into a single six-unit course. Only selected students may elect this option; eligible students will receive a letter of notification from the Program.

WR 30 (Poetry) and WR 31 (Fiction) are English Department courses that offer a balanced mix of creative and critical writing, with readings in the literature of the genre. Any student interested in creative writing may take WR 30 or WR 31 as an elective introduction to the craft and a foundation for the creative writing track in English. Students who pass WR 45 or WR 50 with a grade of “B” or better may choose to take one of these courses in lieu of WR 60.

Petitioning a Lower Division Writing Course

If you have taken an English composition writing course at a college outside of California and wish to petition a lower division writing course at UCI, you will need to fill out the petition by clicking here:

Entry Level Writing:
Writing 50/Writing 60:

Your petition will be reviewed by a Composition course director, and then we will contact you via email with the decision. A copy of the decision will also be sent to your counseling office.

If you took the writing course at a California community college, you do not need to fill out a petition but please consult with a counselor in the school of your major for assistance in determining if the class you took is transferable.