For specific requirements, click here to view the UCI Catalogue.
NB MED HUM 195 will no longer be mandatory starting Fall 2020. For the academic year 2019-2020 students should petition to have it replaced with any other course falling in the purview of the Medical Humanities, as long as it has not been used towards the minor.
The educational goals of the minor in medical humanities include the following:
Pass no pass policy: Office of Undergraduate Study
- Gain proficiency in the application of the scholarship, creative innovation, and critical reasoning and research methodologies of the interdisciplinary field of medical humanities
- Understand the humanities as an integral part of comprehensive medical education.
- Understand illness, healing, and dying from ethical, humanistic, and culturally sensitive perspectives.
- Critically reflect upon multiple dimensions of human identity and experience shaped by illness as they intersect with other social relations of power including (but not limited to) race, class, and nationality.
- Integrate the insights of literature and literary analysis and into the practice and teaching of medicine.
- Understand the cultural, philosophical, historical and artistic study of medicine, past and present.
- Develop a holistic understanding of human health, disease, suffering and treatment.
- Understand the ethical dimension of medical knowledge and practice.
- Appreciate the diversity of perspectives, cultural expressions, social formations, and practices related to medicine.